This past weekend was a garden blitz. One of the things that was planted included this season’s tomatoes…
Here is what we are trying out this year…a couple are return varieties…
- beef steak
- taxi (yellow)
- juliet (roma/sauce)
- sungold (orange cherry)
- eva purple ball (heirloom)
- tropic vfn (blight resistant)
- glacier (smaller red)
- sweetie pie (red cherry)
- volunteer yellow cherry
This recipe also sounded simple and delicious….
Korean Cucumber Pickle
The longer the cucumbers have to soak up the flavors of the marinade the more delicious they will be.
Mad Hungry, March 2011 http://www.marthastewart.com/338545/korean-cucumber-pickle
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 Israeli or Kirby cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 scallion, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
In a shallow dish whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, salt, and cayenne. Add the cucumber, scallion, and garlic. Stir to combine. Press down and spread out cucumbers in dish. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour but up to 2 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.