We had some wind damage to a couple of row covers and we replaced them today.
But first, a sneak peek of how the seedlings are doing:
Central Red Asian greens
Baby Pac Choi
All the babies look happy and healthy!
This week, we got one step closer to having a farm stand! How? A project got completed…a big project…we got our driveway installed! Hip hip hurray and many thanks to L & S excavating.
Stay tuned. May be next season we’ll have an on site store!
The boys have been hard at it the past few weekends. Dad has continued to find great deals on doors and windows that he and Jordan have installed in our future growing area. The remaining work includes: putting up plastic or clear corrugated panels to cover the gaps, leveling the floor and bringing in gravel (eventually will concrete), and changing out some of the roof panels for clear panels. Here are some photos:
Western view – sliding door and window
The next area in the works is the indoor processing area. This part was the closed-in garage. We removed the paneled garage door and covered the opening with a tarp for many weeks…until Dad got this door for us:
The guys installed this door. The big gap will be framed in and filled with a window; smaller gaps will be covered with siding. On the right side (where the opening is) will be counter tops, a 3 bay sink, a drying area etc. for processing our goods. On the left hand side is the walk-in fridge. Next on the task list is running water and power to the garage for the growing and processing area. THEN, we’ll work on getting that cold room up and running with a cool bot system! How huge having these two areas up and running will be!!! We are getting there…..
Though little has been written here lately (sorry about that everybody), quite a bit has been going on. Namely – construction projects.
I don’t have pictures yet, but Jordan has been working hard on repurposing a bay of our garage into a growing area (it has a south facing wall). What a plus it will be to have that space out at the farm! I’ll post photos soon.
We’ve purchased straw round bales for the garden. Unfortunately, they are in Vinton and will have to be hauled in, but the fact is there is no straw locally. Too wet a summer, I think. At any rate, I brought back a bale in the truck, and we rolled it out. Now the asparagus beds are mulched (finally), and we have just over half the garden mulched. Here are our helpers:
FloJo jumping on the bale while it was rolling with Franklin bedding down in the background
Queen of the bale
Meanwhile, back in town, dad has been super busy the past few weekends. He helped install the door and window in the hoop house. Then he took out two raised beds that were in the hoop house for room. In place of those beds, dad built two planting tables for mom. I just transplanted some greens and onions in one of the tables. Take a look:
Greens just planted
Of course, winter weather is on its way. So the table is also protected with a row cover.
A peak through the hoop house door at the covered table
Finally, dad has done a tremendous job building the farm a brand new top bar beehive out of red cedar. Look at this thing of beauty: