Our main planting area is currently under construction. Years ago, we got tons of free concrete block off of craiglist. Those blocks have been taking up space in our lower barn since then. With a dairy heifer coming to our farm in the near future, we decided it was time to clear out a bay of the barn and utilize those blocks. Here’s the idea:
We are getting older by the second, so the idea was to create permanent raised beds that could be added to (when we find all that spare change lying around) to make taller as time goes on. The other thought was to widen the pathways enough for our harvest cart to make hauling easier (my back demands this action).
Yes, we are decreasing the planting areas, but we hope that smaller beds might make things more manageable and we don’t have to worry about weeds migrating from the permanent path. The smaller, permanent beds will concentrate our compost additions, weeding focus and eventually may help us to become minimal to no-till. We will convert to a French biointensive planting (or square foot gardening) scheme of management and planning.
I had a lot of help today.
All hands were on deck to advise and assist.
Until the stop work order was made…
It is slow and steady work. We hope to at least get this one quadrant completed this month so that we can install the pathways and some hoops over the beds for winter production. Transplants are awaiting. Many thanks for dad and Jordan for the jigs and for hauling blocks last weekend.
Stay tuned for more on our progress.