We are adding two more rows of asparagus…it isn’t nearly enough!
A few spears have already come up…and have been harvested…and haven’t been shared. Fresh asparagus is beyond great! We may need more.
Going in…more ‘Purple Passion’ and ‘Jersey Supreme’
The process –
- order crowns from reputable seed company (in this case, these two year old crowns come from Fedco out of Maine)
- prepare the soil – re-created the raised beds, applied mineral (lime for calcium, potassium sulfate, boron, and feather meal as a nitrogen source), applied compost, till
- dig a trench and cover bottom with compost
- spread crown roots and cover
- we will cover the newly planted crowns with a thick layer of straw mulch