The squashes are doing great this year, and we have had fun growing some unusual varieties: zephyr (a type of yellow squash that is bi-color: yellow body, green end(s)), lemon (a fun lemon colored and shaped yellow squash), raven zucchini (dark green and delicious) and eight ball zucchini (a small, round zucchini with great flavor).
Why grow the same thing as everyone else, is what I think…but new or unusual can raise some important questions like: what do I do with it? How do I eat it? A little help please?
So, from a PTHF friend and fellow Marketplace Vendor comes a recipe suggestion for the cute and delicious eight ball zucchini. Here it goes:
Eight-Ball Zucchini Stuffed with Rice, Basil, and Sun-dried Tomatoes
- 4 8-ball zucchini
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
- 1 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 5 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- Cut zucchini tops off about 3/4 inch from the top. Scoop out the insides, being careful to leave a wall about 1/4 inch thick on all sides. Steam zucchini and tops for about 8 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Rehydrate the sun-dried tomatoes by soaking them in hot water until softened. Remove from water and chop. Reserve soaking water.
- Chop the zucchini pulp. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, and sauté the garlic for about 1 minute. Add the zucchini pulp and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the tomatoes, brown rice and almonds, and if the mixture seems dry, add a splash of the tomato liquid. Add the basil leaves, Kalamata olives, and black pepper to taste. Cook until warm, about 3 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Using a spoon, carefully stuff the rice mixture into the zucchini, mounding slightly on top. Place in an uncovered baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot, covered with tops if desired.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s) | Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Per serving: 150 Calories (kcal); 5g Total Fat; (25% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 169mg Sodium; 4g Fiber