This weekend was a beautiful weekend full of hard work.
- Compost applied to a quarter of the planting beds
- Broadforking of carrot beds
- Tillage of onion and cabbage planting beds
- Weeding of garlic beds
- Compost applied to garlic beds
- Transplanting of onions and cabbages
We transplanted 16 flats of onions….that’s 1344 soil blocks. Each soil block was triple seeded. Not all seeds germinated, but we figured we had an average of two seedlings per block, meaning we planted around 2688 onions!
We worked hard and had our butts kicked by the sunny, warm days….only to have a reality check that those warm temperatures were fleeting. The forecast for Tuesday night = blustery with gusty winds and temps in the 20s! Great. Yesterday afternoon was a frantic dash to put row covers over everything that was just planted. Here’s hoping they survive the possible freeze……